Followers

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

moldy green ice cubes, a.k.a David's blog

So, my dear old friend David came over for dinner and catching up and reminiscing last Friday night. I've known David since about 1998, he used to be my swing dance partner back in the day. I have to admit, once upon a time, we were pretty good. Although we did put on some music, and danced a bit in the living room, we didn't attempt any lifts this night- we're both too old and out of practice for that shit! Besides, who wants a broken bone over X-mas break, (get it, broken over break?). I digress... I get to see him about once a year when his place of employment lets him out- he's military, (sigh - stupid boy!) and he hadn't yet met Eb, way long overdue.

We started our evening with a simple meal and red wine. Then added some more red wine, and finally David found the Kahlua. I brewed a pot of coffee and he attempted to make official coffee drinks- what's the name: coffee, Kahlua, and cream? He said he needed ice cubes for the finishing touch, and opened the freezer door. He pulled out and ice cube tray, and was shocked, and probably frightened when he saw this:


moldy green ice cubes.


Okay, to explain: I have been making Eb's baby food for the past 5 months. It's easier, and less expensive. I usually steam large batches of fruits and veggies, puree the hell out of them, then put them in ice cube trays to freeze until later use. David pulled out the spinach or avocados. I don't remember, his shock was too hilarious to pay attention, plus I had a bit to drink. I'm sure I got extra wrinkles that night from all the laughing we did!

So, no ice cubes, but we improvised. I found some frozen cheesecake filling mix I had leftover from the x-mas dessert I made. It worked perfectly fine in the drinks, but at that point, who really could tell the difference?

No comments: