Followers

Sunday, March 15, 2009

St. Pat's, and other thinks I've thought

St. Patrick's Day is one of my favorite days. Except, I'm not even sure why, really. It could be because green abounds, or it's like a preview to the much anticipated Spring Season, or maybe the Guinness, or Corned Beef and Cabbage (twice a year, I'm down with red meat).

As a teacher, it's especially fun. When I taught Kindergarten, I would start wearing my leprechaun shoes on March 1st, and I told the kids a story about catching a leprechaun when I was a little girl, and he gave me his shoes. I explained to them I was too young to know about his pot of gold, and the tricky leprechaun promised me his magical shoes if I let him go. 5 and 6 year olds really eat this stuff up. For homework on St. Pat's, I assigned the task of making a Leprechaun Trap, that had to come to school with the kids. You would not believe how elaborate and fanciful some of the kids (parents mostly) got. It seems that I am not the only one who favors this day. While the kids were on their lunch break I would have some 6th grade helpers come in and set off all the traps, leaving gold coins in each trap, AND trash the room. The look on those kids faces was priceless. They could not believe that a teacher instructed them to mess up the room- turn over desks, empty baskets, put green glitter everywhere. Yes, the janitor was not happy with me for a few days, but she got over it. Those little kindergartners ate it up!, fully believing that a leprechaun had come into the classroom. Oh to have the imagination and free spirit of a child again!

Now, as a 2nd grade teacher, I've toned it down a bit- I'm making Shamrock shaped sugar cookies (try saying that 3 times fast) for the kids to decorate, and we'll be graphing Lucky Charms cereal as part of our math for the day. I'll still be wearing my Leprechaun shoes though!


The little man is so very close to just taking off walking. He will let go of the stationary object he's holding onto and just walk across the room. He's up to about 7-8 steps consistently. Also, he really enjoys pushing the chairs all around the kitchen, and loves walking with his push toys, and riding his trike. AND~ he got another tooth, he's up to 5. No wonder he bit Grandma's toe last week.




Now, I'm off to make those cookies.

No comments: